Friday, December 04, 2009

That Inexplicable Kate Gosselin Hairdo

For those of you unaware of "The Gosselins", I applaud you.

And I genuinely wonder how you manage to live without electricity!

Kidding, of course...but, the ubiquity of "Jon & Kate" is pretty hard to ignore. I have, in fact, encountered folks who are unaware of the existence of this kooky family and I assume it's because they're simply too busy with their own lives to notice the exploits of some silly reality TV couple.

Regardless, the "Jon & Kate" phenomenon is a pretty pervasive piece of pop culture and it occasionally feels like we're being cruelly inundated with pointless & tedious details about their lives via all forms of media. The public was initially exposed to this couple, and their 8 children (1 set of twins and 1 set of sextuplets) via their TV show "Jon and Kate Plus Eight" and the subsequent public fascination continued, virtually unabated, until very recently.

I'm not going to talk about the couple, their kids, their show, their pending divorce, nor the skanky crap being volleyed back & forth between them. I don't care about any of that. All I care about is Kate's hair.

It's atrocious.

Worse still, I'm afraid it might be on its way to becoming a "Rachel" or a "Farrah"!

Much like Farrah Fawcett's sausage curls of the 70s and the Jennifer Aniston bob from '94 known as the "Rachel" (for her character's name on "Friends"), both of which became THE style to sport in their respective eras, Kate's entirely inexplicable hairdo appears to be picking up steam in terms of its popularity. I've seen at least 4 or 5 women in Toronto, in the last week or so, freely walking around in public (acting as though they're doing nothing wrong), wearing the spiky-Kate Gosselin creature on their heads!

Don't ask me why...if I could explain that, I could explain parachute pants, I could explain "Everybody Loves Raymond", I could explain GWB's 2 presidencies.....well, I'd have incredible power, I'd be even more of a Goddess than I already am.

I don't know why. All I know is that I am now seeing it everywhere. And it's scary.

I've only been able to capture 1 photo, so far (see below), but I will do my best to get the rest of these morons digitally preserved. Their future grandchildren deserve to know from what idiots they've been sprung.

I have a co-worker who sports a semi-similar style...but, for some reason, it works for him...actually, I think, I should rephrase: He makes it work.

But he's been workin' it for much longer than doucheKate. If this haircut becomes famous, he should get some credit, cuz it looks waaay better on him, than on her or any of her douchey dopplegangers.

1 comment:

Mellykat said...

I'll keep my camera or phone at-the-ready in case I come across any of these, though I'd be far more likely to want to just go up to them and say WTF as opposed to taking their pictures.

LOL
M :)