Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Regarding My Favourite Movie: I Am Torn

I'm not experiencing indecision on the identity of my favourite movie...it is and will likely always be "Harold & Maude". I absolutely adored it from my very first viewing (in 1997) and have loved it ever since.


It is beautiful & brilliant in every conceivable way...story, writing, performances, cinematography, music...everything is perfection!

It's the music I want to address.

All of the songs on the soundtrack are by Cat Stevens (this film came out in '71, so he was still "Cat" back then).


My favourite song is "If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out" which was written especially for the movie and can be interpreted as the unofficial "theme" song of the film. It makes me laugh, it makes me cry, it makes me dance & it inspires me--it's that good!

Recently, I realized that its formerly feline songwriter/performer, now known as Yusuf Islam, had given T-Mobile the rights to "If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out" to use in a commercial.

ARGH!

And therein lies my dilemma.

I don't even care about the whole "selling out" aspect, that's not what bothers me.

What I simply cannot reconcile is as follows:

On one hand, every time it comes on, it makes me happy...I sing along enthusiastically! I smile!

On the other hand, a generation (or two) are only going to know this fantastic ditty as the theme to a T-Mobile commercial and that is heart-breaking!

I can't believe that a Cat Stevens-related trauma is causing me such distress.

No comments: