Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Everybody Loves Christmas, Except Jesus

Driving to work this week, we passed a church with one of those signs outside the front of the building, whose letters can be added/rearranged/changed. Often you'll see bible quotes, psalms, ads for noon-time organ recitals etc.

The message on this church's sign read:


This message confused me, to say the least.

What could Jesus possibly have against Christmas? Who doesn't love birthdays?!

Unless the holiday to which they actually meant to refer was Easter and not Christmas...cuz that would make sense...I could see why Jesus wouldn't love Easter, what with the betrayal, the being nailed to the cross & the dying and whatnot.

It took me a while, but then I realized that what they probably meant to say was "EVERYBODY LOVES CHRISTMAS ACCEPT JESUS".

Ah! The light dawns!

-----------------

Post Script

Driving by the same church this morning, I took a peek to see if they had corrected the sign. Sure enough, it had been updated.

Corrected? Not so much.

Today, the sign reads:



Thanks for the clarity.

I had been affording them the benefit of the doubt, in that they simply might have used the wrong word. Now, I truly don't know what to think.

Can't wait to see how this message evolves over the rest of the week...

5 comments:

Joe Stevens said...

Hilarious, again. Everybody loves birthdays! Why the hell wouldn't Jesus??? If I were him, I'd go to Chi-Chi's (if those restaurants still exist) for the "Happy Birthday, Ole" song.

Patchoulia said...

I don't know if it's my Canadianism or my "growing up in a tiny, isolated, northern Ontario town" ism that makes me ignorant of "Chi Chi's". Sure, I've heard of it...but I'm completely unfamiliar with this intriguing "Happy Birthday Ole" song to which you refer.

Methinks some internet research is in order...

tiedyejeremy said...

sorry, but I think this might be an attempt (or is that etempt?) to portray Jesus with a face palm... as he sees that the heathens are digging on the spirit without remembering it's really his birthday party. What did you give Jesus this year? What did you give your friends? Your parents? Your kids' teachers? All he wants is for you to follow him, but instead, we use his birthday as an excuse to relish the deadly sins and bask in consumerism without a second though about the guy born next to a donkey and killed on a cross... for us.

Who got the best end of that stick?

Patchoulia said...

If their ultimate goal was to remind folks of the "real" meaning of "Christmas", you'd think they'd make the message a little less obscure...at least, that would be my recommendation...

Unknown said...

BAHAHAHAHA - good one. You should also send that to Fail Blog. That's a big "churchy" FAIL.