Thursday, April 09, 2009

Movie Crushes from the 80s III

This is one of the movies from the 80s that I remember seeing at the theatre and it had a HUGE effect on me....it was like one of those perfect confluences of experiences..(bad) music, (bad) fashion and (bad) timing.

And I loved it all (at the time).

And it's apropos because I hear they're producing a re-make (Editorial Aside: Leave the classics alone, fuckers!):

FOOTLOOSE!

Omigod.

I think I was in grade 5 or 6 when it came out...the soundtrack was beyond awesome at the time.

I remember our grade 5/6 3-day camping trip..we had a ghetto blaster and plenty of batteries and a Footloose soundtrack...we played it over and over and over and over...

I distinctly remember arguing with one of the guys, because he just wanted to play "Footloose" (Track 1) over and over and I had to negotiate with him just so we could at least hear "Let's Hear It For the Boy" (Track 2) at least a couple of times (never mind the whole album).

We finally got to see the movie and I was blown away...

I lived in a small, cloistered town..

I imagined myself in the environment from the movie, meeting Kevin Bacon (REN!) and beating the redneck townsfolk and their racist, pedestrian, closed-minded ways...oh, it was a glorious, divine fantasy for a 12 year old. :)

I am torn about the news that they're thinking of remaking this film...

On one hand, if they could formulate a modern version of this movie, with its elan, modern kids would likely respond to it the way I did, when I was their age: As an inspiration for them, something that speaks to them.

On the other hand, it's almost sacrilegious, to sully the name of such a classic flick!

I pray the filmmakers show due reverence in the new version. ;)

No comments: