Saturday, November 22, 2008

My morning so far...

It's only 10:30 a.m. and I've already had a pretty full morning--it's remarkable how much you can get done when you're up at 6:30 on a Saturday!

Although the alarm goes off at 6:30 or so every weekday morning, getting up at what amounts to the crack of ridiculous on the weekend is not normally my thing. However, today I had a hair appointment at 8:15--I'm thrilled I finally found a stylist I like after the trauma of my previous stylist of several years unceremoniously abandoning all her clients (yes, I'm still somewhat bitter). In any case, the time was irrelevant--I needed a haircut.

So I got up, showered & got ready to go. Am I the only one who washes/styles their hair before going to a hair appointment? The entire time, I ruminate on the futility of it--they wash & cut & style my hair and I pay a whole lot for it. However, I am loath to go in with bedhead--not only is that embarrassing, but I'm afraid if I don't present the way I like it styled, she might cut it into a shorter--and more permanent--version of bedhead.

I got myself all bundled up for the 25 minute walk up to Bloor street. It was a wonderful walk--chilly, but awesome. It's a beautiful crisp sunny day--walking @ 7:30 on a Saturday morning is great (especially when it's -10..aka COLD for Toronto) because the only people you encounter are the necessarily dedicated dog owners out with their pets or ardent (aka crazy) exercise enthusiasts. Once I got to Bloor, I went to Second Cup and got a small soy pumpkin spice latte, which was delicious (though I've never experienced crack, I'm pretty sure that this is the beverage equivalent..oh my goodness, it's sublime!), then headed to the salon.

After my haircut, I decided to do some grocery shopping...I headed over to No Frills, a store that I normally eschew, despite the great deals to be had, because it's usually jam-packed and the way it's set up, it's extremely difficult to maneuver around the aisles. I figured Saturday morning before 9 a.m. it might be less busy than usual--and I was right. After No Frills, I hit a few of the many fruit & vegetable markets along my route to grab some fresh produce and went to the bakery to get some fresh onion buns for lunch.

The only people out and about on Bloor at this hour seem to be yuppies toting their "venti" Starbucks coffees, accompanied by one or both of the following:

a) the requisite giant SUV-stroller carrying their spawn (excellent for blocking sidewalks and aisles in stores, which happens a lot since these folks seem to believe the world revolves around them);

b) Overly groomed, purebred dogs all sporting designer attire (coats & sometimes even booties)--doesn't matter if it's one of those annoying purse puppies or a big giant husky, the owners seem incapable of not dressing them up. The dogs themselves appear to be chagrined by the indignity.

I walked home and the dog greeted me as though I'd been gone for 2 weeks instead of two hours--it's so nice to be missed! I whipped up a delicious facon & tomato sammitch for breakfast and proceeded to admire my pretty new haircut in the mirror for a while.

Time to get started on my cleaning...happy Saturday to me! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa! Jules! Irrelevent? Loathe? Tsk, tsk.

Patchoulia said...

Ha! Did you not read how early I was up that day? Typos are inevatible. :)