Sunday, February 07, 2010

The etymology of language...

I'm a big fan of grammar.
I am currently reading "Woe Is I" subtitled "The Grammarphobe's Guide to Better English in Plain English" (which means I'm not really this book's target demographic, but I still enjoy reading the tips & mneumonic tricks to improving one's grammar contained therein).


"Eats, Shoots & Leaves" is another good one.


I'm always somewhat conflicted about the evolution of language: Is it really evolution or is it devolution? I contend that any word whose useage is modified in such a way that it reduces clarity of meaning is not evolution.


Case in point, earlier today, Poop mentioned that something would be completed in a "promp" manner.


Me: Did you just say..promp?


Poop: Yeah. Promp. What?


Me: That's not even a word.


Poop: Of course it is! It's in the definictionary!


Happy Stupid Bowl Sunday!

2 comments:

Mellykat said...

I have 'ES&L' and just started reading it!!! Someone just lent it to me knowing my OCD tendencies toward language. lol

Might take me forever to read though if I do it in my 'spare' time. I doubt I'll get it done promply. teehee

Happy Monday!
M :)

Patchoulia said...

As long as you have a definictionary handy, you'll be fine....