Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Why isn't this socially acceptable?

There are 2 things that Kuda the dog loves above all else (not including walks in the park & any kind of delicious snack):

1. Stuffed animals that make squeeky noises and

2. Tennis Balls

She loves all stuffed animals, to a degree, but she especially enjoys the ones that squeek. We recently discovered that the American Kennel Club (AKC) makes squeeky stuffies that are considerably more durable than your average stuffed animal--they last a few weeks or even months, as opposed an hour or two, which is great because these things aren't inexpensive!

I also suspect that the AKC spikes these toys with a canine equivalent of catnip--the dog really goes nuts for these things, way beyond explanation.

Last night she was playing, alternating between her stuffed squeeky toy (that we all know as "Ocelot") and her tennis ball.



Kuda & Ocelot in a quiet moment..


I then spied a white plastic object on the floor and realized that Kuda had chewed open her Ocelot and the squeeker had fallen out.

Suddenly, I was inspired to create the greatest dog toy ever: A plush toy stuffed with...a tennis ball!! Oh happy day for all dogs everywhere!

I jumped into action.


First, I distracted Kuda with a treat and while she was chasing a chunk of carrot across the carpet, I grabbed Ocelot and the tennis ball. I then went to work--I had to rip a bigger hole in poor Ocelet's back, but I was able to eventually work the tennis ball into the belly of the beast.

Once it was assembled, I tossed it over in Kuda's direction....and she began to freak the fuck out!


She grabbed on to it, then tossed it aside, then chased after it...then, inexplicably, she tucked her rump in & up and began randomly & vigorously HUMPING THE AIR!

We lost ourselves in hysterics--we'd never seen anything like it!

This is not normal behaviour for this dog--Kuda has never done anything like this this before.


She was spayed when she was a puppy and unless she unleashes (ha!) her secret desires by mounting furniture while we're all at work (or otherwise absent), I don't think she's a big "humper", per se.

My theory is that she was just SO INCREDIBLY EXCITED that she simply could not fathom any other way to express her joy!

My question is this: Why is this not socially acceptable for humans? When we are awestruck and rendered mute and stunned into immobility due to sheer joy--why can't we express ourselves thusly? Why can't we just "hump it out"?

Imagine what a happy world it would be.

1 comment:

Kim said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

oh my goodness.